Tuesday, December 15, 2009

World Championships past...



I was looking through some old images, preparing the laptop for the trip to Regina and the onslaught of images it will encounter.  When I came across some images from the World Championships of Hockey back in April/May in Switzerland.  I was asked to work the tournament rather last minute.

We were wrapping up the Men's Under 18 World Championships in Fargo, North Dakota.  Having survived the flooding on the way down, the over sized cookies while there, I thought my next trip would be the one that took me home.  Until I received a call asking if I would like to go to Switzerland.  I took my time to reply...3 seconds later I gave my response; YES!

After finishing the U18 tournament it was back in the Van to drive to Winnipeg, a trip that typically lasts 3.5 hrs took us over 5 due to a very large detour as a result of the ongoing flooding of the Red River.  Checked into our hotel for a 3 hr nap, up for an early flight to Toronto, met at the airport by my Sister Julia with her son, and my then-girlfriend-now-fiance Jessica.  Laundry at Julia's and a much needed sleep.  The next morning it was off to the Hall of Fame to get the contract straightened out, and a quick haircut (not at the Hall of Fame).

That evening it was on another plane to Switzerland.  There I had the chance to meet and work with a great photographer from Finland Jukka Rautio.  This was my first World Championship, and his 15th...so I was a little awestruck at all the hockey 'characters' around.  During the portraits I was a little taken aback at all the people that were standing in front of me.

After getting settled it was time for the games to start.  It was time for Canada to get it all started, by taking on Hungary.  Regardless of the opponent I was excited to shoot Senior Team Canada for the first time (well, Men's Team Canada).  The rink we were at allowed us to shoot from in between the benches with an un-obscured view of the players and ice surface.


For me it was a moment I will never forget, no matter how many of these tournaments I get to do in the future.  All I can do is look forward and hope to be invited to the party...



1 comment: